Since the establishment of new China the following investigations and research works during the last thirty years have been undertaken:
1. The vegetation of the subtropical and tropical forest region;
2. The vegetation of the temperate forest region;
3. The vegetation of the temperate steppe region;
4. The vegetation of the temperate desert region;
5. The vegetation of the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau;
6. The vegetation types and regionalization of whole China as well as the vegetation mapping;
7. The environmental botany.
The following items or problems would be suggested to be further studied:
1. The fundamental principles of vegetation in China;
2. Vegetation mapping of different scales, including their compilation and surveying methods;
3. The classification of cultural plant communities and ecological characteristics of the economical plants;
4. The experimental research on photocoenosium and physiological photoecology;
5. The structure and function of the terrestrial ecosystems;
6. Plant ecology for the environmental protection;
7. Indicators of plants and plant communities.