Chin J Plant Ecol ›› 2024, Vol. 48 ›› Issue (3): 306-316.DOI: 10.17521/cjpe.2023.0134

• Research Articles • Previous Articles     Next Articles

Quantitative analysis of climate change and human activities on vegetation gross primary productivity in Nei Mongol, China

YANG Yu-Meng1, LAI Quan1,2,*(), LIU Xin-Yi1   

  1. 1College of Geographical Science, Inner Mongolia Normal University, Hohhot 010022, China
    2Inner Mongolia Key Laboratory of Remote Sensing and Geographic Information Systems, Hohhot 010022, China
  • Received:2023-05-14 Accepted:2023-08-03 Online:2024-03-20 Published:2024-02-28
  • Contact: *(laiquan@imnu.edu.cn)
  • Supported by:
    Natural Science Foundation of Nei Mongol(2022MS04006)

Abstract:

Aims Nei Mongol is an important ecological security barrier in northern China, and the study of changes in its vegetation productivity is of great significance to the ecological security of the northern region.

Methods Based on multi-source remote sensing data such as Eddy Covariance-Light Use Efficiency Gross Primary Productivity (EC-LUE GPP) in Nei Mongol from 1982 to 2017, this paper uses trend analysis and correlation analysis to analyze the temporal and spatial variation characteristics of vegetation gross primary production (GPP) in Nei Mongol and its correlation with air temperature, precipitation and soil moisture. On this basis, multiple linear regression and residual analysis methods were used to decompose and quantify GPP under the influence of climate changes and human activities, divide different time periods to carry out its impact on vegetation GPP, and explore the impact of different vegetation types on the driving factors response.

Important findings (1) Three meteorological elements showed good correlation with vegetation GPP, among which precipitation and soil moisture had higher correlations with GPP. (2) During the period 1982-1990, vegetation GPP showed an insignificant increasing trend with large fluctuations and the remaining three time periods (1991-2000, 2001-2010, 2011-2017) showed an insignificant downward trend. The areas with an overall downward trend accounted for 55% of the total area, and the other 45% showed a significant upward trend. (3) Except for the period from 2001 to 2010, climate changes played a decisive role in vegetation restoration in the other three time periods (1982-1990, 1991-2000, 2011-2017), explaining 20%, 16% and 13% of vegetation restoration, respectively. Human activities dominated vegetation degradation areas, explaining 13%, 19% and 20% of vegetation degradation, respectively. The research results can provide scientific reference for the implementation of ecological environmental protection and management policies and green and sustainable development in Nei Mongol.

Key words: climate chang, human activity, gross primary productivity, residual analysis, Nei Mongol